We’ve all seen the Television adds, Magazine articles or worse…. The Brand Power lady advising us of the latest and greatest “all natural” organic products.
But are they really that Green?
GREEN WASHING (yes it’s really in the dictionary)
noun : the practice of promoting environmentally friendly programs to deflect attention from an organisation’s environmentally unfriendly or less savory activities; also called green-washing
Before I began my online store my health was suffering and I decided that enough was enough and began cleaning up not only my diet, but my beauty products, skin care and my surrounding environment. Basically I hit the Re-Fresh button on my entire lifestyle.
When I really and I mean really started reading ingredient lists and learning about what I was consuming not only by mouth but through skin absorption I was mortified.
Women on average are bathing themselves in a chemical cocktail of around 168 Chemicals each and every day. From personal care products, cosmetics, perfume and feminine hygiene products.
What really got my goat was companies claiming to be “healthy” and being typically categorised as “green”, but when you would purchase something from them i.e skin care, you take the bottle home read the ingredients panel to see the product contains Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Methylparaben, Polyparaben, PEG’s and Propylene Glycol. All of which are Carcinogens, neurotoxins and endocrine disruptors.
- Sodium Laureth Contamination concerns, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs)
- Sodium Benzoate Is a known carcinogenic additive which, when eaten or applied to the skin, gets transported to the liver
- Methylparaben is in the paraben family of preservatives used by the food, pharmaceutical, and personal care product industries. Parabens mimic estrogen and can act as potential hormone (endocrine) system disruptors.
- Polyparaben Also an endocrine disrubtor, possible link to breast cancer
- PEG’s according to the website TRUTH IN BEAUTY PEG’s function in three ways as emollients (which help soften and lubricate the skin), as emulsifiers (which help water-based and oil-based ingredients mix properly), and as vehicles that help deliver other ingredients deeper into the skin. So if your product contains any of the above chemicals the PEG’s help to drive the ingredients deeper into your bloodstream.
- Propylene Glycol is a petroleum derivative which Can cause Organ System Toxicity and Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs)
Here is an example Ive blurred out the product to cover my @ss but you get the idea
Now put on your white lab coats and read the ingredients panel
Aqua (water), Glycerin, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Sodium Lauryl Glucosides Hydroxypropyl Sulfonate, Decyl Glucoside, PVP, Panthenol, Citric Acid, Sodium Methylparaben, PEG-14M, Diazolidinyl Urea, Carthamus Tincorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Tocopherol
Green washing is not all about ingredients it can also be companies trying to fool consumers about how environmentally friendly they are. For example did you know that it is mandatory for ALL beauty products supplied to China to be tested on animals!!!
Even the greener companies that clearly state they do not test on animals are conforming to these regulations so they can reap the financial rewards of selling their products in China.
Other examples of Green Washing is claiming to be “All Natural” i.e chicken at the supermarket. Despite the fact the company treats its chickens with antibiotics.
Or this one… House-hold green cleaner (Better for you better for the Environment) yet the product itself contains hazardous chemicals that are entering our waterways and harming marine life.
I am contacted on a regular basis by companies wishing for me to stock their products and I gotta say 95% of them I reject. You may also notice, that if a brand I stock has other flavours options OR fragrances I will tend to only stock the cleanest version available. Fragrances and parfums in products are not something I use myself I try to pick the cleanest version of the product as possible. I will ask the supplier for an ingredients list, ask where they products are sourced and if im not completely confident with them I will simply not stock them. Hand on heart I will only stock products I feel are safe for me, for you, for your family and for the environment.
Truth in Beauty https://www.truthinaging.com/review/what-is-it-pegs
Natural News http://www.naturalnews.com/033726_sodium_benzoate_cancer.html
Green Beauty Team http://greenbeautyteam.com/features/led-by-beauty/chinas-demand-for-animal-testing-in-cosmetics-brands-that-are-giving-in/